It’s the 21st century and finally, the convenience-filled vision of future home life has arrived! The gadgets that did everything in The Jetsons’ cartoon future home in the clouds now for the most part exist in an ever-growing collection of Smart Home technology. Smart devices can help simplify your life, so you have more time to focus on the important stuff.
Smart homes have come a long way from the Ring doorbell and Alexa voice-activated speaker on the kitchen counter. The advancement, like most tech these days, allows you to use smart home accessories for just about everything—controlling your thermostat, locking your front door, lowering your shades, even programming your light bulbs to flash the colors of your favorite sports team when they score. (using Philips Hue A19 smart light bulbs) Developers have created apps and devices to control home stereos, water usage, lighting, lawn care, garage doors, your dog’s food dish, and even grocery shopping – all easily controlled by the phone you’re more than likely using to read this.
Companies have even foreseen the need for individual ecosystems running various things in your house to communicate with one another and work together toward your ultimate comfort and convenience, all controlled from your phone or by voice command. No need to panic about a possible iOS vs. Android, PC vs. Mac situation either; smart home devices conveniently play nicely with one another. Just look for the “works with…” sticker on the box to see if its compatible with what you’ve already got so far. Builders now offer smart, WiFi-enabled communities around the country, including many in Florida. It’s also a good idea to factor a smart device system into your remodel plans.
As you can well imagine, all this ahead of its time tech makes your home worth more to prospective buyers. Think of it as an uptick in price each time you add an additional smart device.
From adjusting the temperature of your hot tub and pool, to the individual energy management of each room in your home, automated climate and lighting controls pay for themselves by conserving energy at every point of use throughout the night and day. They adjust for personal wants and needs, peak usage and time of day, without you ever having to think about it.
Google, Amazon and Apple are the major players in the smart home arena now. Tech site The Ambient has a nice rundown of features and systems, along with suggestions for building the Smart Home system of your dreams. These include:
- Home security
- A camera system to alert you when someone is at your door or on your property from wherever you are, as well as keep a video license plate log of every vehicle on your property
- Peace of mind and convenience for older and disabled people
- Increased energy efficiency can lower insurance cost
- Home theater and media options to automatically control lighting and air conditioning when a movie is on. Turn just about any room in your home into a multi-purpose media room
- Media equipment that seamlessly reveals itself at the touch of a button. Hidden screens and speakers descend from ceilings, hide inside framed artwork, or rise from specially-designed furniture.
- Media servers that will stream music, movies and TV shows anywhere in your home or business network from the Internet. Interface with your doorbell to automatically lower the volume or pause when it rings.
- Customize your family’s phones to double as an intercom, from anywhere
- IMAX movie theater room
Why do you want a Smart House? They just make life easier. Talk to us at J. Sweet Construction about the Smart Home of your dreams. We’ll put our experience, honesty and integrity to work to make your dream come true.