Once considered an add-on for your home, these days the home office is a must-have, especially with the plethora of work-from-home employment opportunities. When planning your new construction or remodel, it’s a good idea to factor a home office into your plans. Think about it, your Florida home is your castle, and when you have to work in it, might as well do it right and outfit your home office with just the right accoutrements.
If you’re ready to put a home office together, first decide how often you’ll be in there. If you’ll be working at home on a daily basis, creating a different feel from the rest of the house is a must to help you focus and get in the right mindset. If not, consider the option of creating a room that’s part office, part homework study, and part home admin center. In this case, you’d want your office space to blend in more with the rest of the house.
Having the latest tech working smoothly and efficiently should be top of mind. If you’re among the ranks of the over four million people who work remotely, the following items are a must for your serious home office, courtesy of Inc.com:
- A laptop that balances power and portability – Although by the time we’re done here you probably won’t want to leave your house 😊, but just in case, investing in a new MacBook Pro or Microsoft Surface Pro offers the convenience of taking your work virtually anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi connection, (pretty much everywhere) while also providing an efficient workspace at home.
- Monitor – If you are more comfortable with a desktop, go for a monitor with the superior resolution of a 4K that’s not only great for work but also gaming and Netflix binging.
- A keyboard and mouse that fit your hand – Comfort is important, especially if you’re spending a long time in your office.
- A reliable Wi-Fi router – A quality router like the Netgear WiFi Orbi should keep you good and connected with minimal to no dropout.
- Smart speaker – Seriously consider introducing one of Amazon’s smart speakers or Google’s Home Max to your home and office. A little ambient music on command can help you focus as well as drown out the extraneous noise in your home, plus using voice commands helps you remain focused on the main event – work.
- A quality all in one printer – Whether you go inkjet or laser, the top brands remain the same Canon, HP, Epson and Dell all still make a superior product.
- A webcam – Face it, if you work from home there more than likely will be the inevitable video conference call. Besides the one embedded in most laptops, the Logitech C922 or Razer Kiyo are best bets, says Techradar.
- Headphones – For when you must focus and tune out the world…
Know how much space you have in your home office when choosing the right desk. A corner desk may be the answer. Some desks also have handy wire channels to keep your cord situation in check. Ergonomically speaking, standing desks are becoming more popular lately, as are those that convert from sitting to standing with the touch of a button. When you plan your fitted cabinets and shelving in and around your desk area, make sure to allow enough room for displaying items that aren’t necessarily work-related. A dedicated spot for treasured books and ornaments will help create a space that you want to be in, rather than have to be in.
Your desk chair might just be the most important piece of your home office, providing the necessary support for your health and alignment while you focus on your work. Among the top ergonomically-correct desk chairs from a study done by Republic Lab comes the Herman Miller Embody Chair, which actually stimulates oxygen and blood flow, and the Haworth Zody Chair, which actually has a certificate of recommendation form the American Physiotherapy Center. Some are even bypassing the chair completely, opting for a stool to encourage “active sitting” such as those on the list compiled by Vurni.com.
When planning the lighting for your home office and a window is in the room, by all means use it! Natural light is optimal in any lighting situation. Just remember to incorporate the look correctly so it blends in with your selected products. Make sure you allow for the angles of natural light through the day and avoid glare from your computer and other screens. Otherwise, invest in a purpose-designed desk lamp for the best lighting.
Be sure to use the appropriate treatment for your window to optimize your office. Shutters will allow you to control the amount of light coming in. Light-colored blinds that block out glare and allow in natural light would work as well.
Custom furniture is worth the investment if you use your home office every day. It can also be the best option for a multifunctional space, such as a guest room. Many specialty office furniture companies offer couches, recliners and ottomans that work well for relaxation in the work environment, as well as offering a comfortable place for guests.
The home office can be a functional, helpful space within the home when designed correctly. Ask us how at J. Sweet Construction, and we’ll put 20 years of remodel expertise to use, with honesty and integrity.